![]() |
| Abdoulaye Wade and his son |
In my corner of the world, very little of the violence was noticeable. I stayed at home entertaining myself for the weekend with books, movies, and computer games. My experience of the violent protests was totally confined to sending emails to people assuring them that I continue to be safe (and I do).
| Dakar protesters, Jan 27, '12 |
In the northern town of Podor reports are suggesting that Gendarmes (police) opened fire into a crowd of peaceful protesters killing two and injuring others. Concerns on some sides are that this is sanctioned, and a similar response is possible to the demonstration today. On the other hand, there is a concern that due to this show of violence on the part of gendarmes the opposition is more likely to escalate their protest themselves. Either way tensions are high and we've been advised to head home in advance of the start of the protest.
I left the office a bit earlier than planned so that I could make sure there was enough time for 1 or 2 quick errands. Gendarme presence (in riot gear) on several street corners. And at the gas station at the end of my street a somewhat ragtag group of soldiers are directing traffic (and looking vaguely menacing). An extra bottle of water, 2 baguettes, and a few other staples and I'm home and for the day.Hoping for non-violent political protests.
Photo credits:
http://africamix.blog.lemonde.fr/2011/06/24/senegal-abdoulaye-wade-est-il-encore-un-democrate/
http://www.businessday.co.za/Articles/Content.aspx?id=163639

..my perception of your safety is stronger when we're on skype. this post makes it less so.
ReplyDeleteJeez. I'm loving reading about all of your updates but not loving that it's not the safest place. Keep blogging!
ReplyDelete